Barron County Gazette Newspaper Office
This building was the Southside Fire Station in Rice Lake, It housed the hand drawn fire equipment of early years. The age of the building is uncertain, however, the Rice Lake Fire Department was organized in 1889. The building was owned by Mrs. Robert Lockman, a former Rice Lake resident who donated the Old Station to the museum. It was moved here in 1979. The five newspapers in the county sponsored the moving and refurbishing of the building.
The machine used in the process of making the newspapers was the Linotype, pictured here. This machine lines up the letter in order to make a newspaper. Today the machines are more up to date and advanced. Much of the work is now done by computers.
Inside the Gazette